Monday, December 31, 2012

Want to Slim Down in 2013?

I found an article through MSN talking about mind games to use to help you lose weight. I thought I'd relay some of the more eye-opening/useful info:

1) Dim the Lights 

          If you're under a softer light, the mood is less stimulating to the brain, making you more uninterested in the food. I tried this one out during dinner tonight. Once I was finished, I did notice that I felt a lot more tired. I felt relaxed, and not that "go, go, go" feeling that I would have with the lights on. Eating didn't feel like a task that I had to rush through (thus eating more). I enjoyed my food a lot more, and I can really see how this one could help after awhile.

2) Got Zzzzz's?
          Studies show that getting less than 6.5 hours of sleep can lead to you eating an extra 500 calories in your day. You're trying to substitute your tiredness with energy from food, which is most likely to just make you more sleepy. Instead, try a quick little workout or jaunt- those endorphins will pick you right up! (Or take a nap).

3) Rephrase your Thoughts
          We all tell ourselves, "I can't". Telling ourselves that we can't do something is a punishment, tearing down our motivation. Now, try telling yourself "you don't" eat certain foods in order to promote a healthy lifestyle. I can see this one in my life because I'm a pescatarian. I have never said, "I can't eat beef, pork, or poultry", but simply, "I don't eat those meats". It's never been a big deal for me. In fact, now analyzing this statement, I can see how saying "I don't" makes me feel more confident; it's my choice to eat like that, and that's pretty awesome. For me, I'm going to say, "I don't eat carbs (because it makes my stomach upset)"- and that's no fun.

4) Love Yourself
          Tell yourself you're beautiful, happy, have a great sense of style, and that you're THIN! Studies show that if you think thin, your lifestyle will mimic how you treat yourself. I struggled (past tense!) with saying, "Ah, whatever", "One time", "When do you enjoy yourself?" Well, pretty soon, I was saying yes to everything- like I might as well! So tell yourself you're absolutely lovely when you resist that sugary temptation, for that was purely amazing! You're so much more confident, strong, and thinner without it! This is YOUR life, not those sugary food's life.

5) Pair your Meals
          If you pair your meals with water, you are more likely to choose more low-calorie foods than if you drink a sugary beverage. You'll think healthier, if you do a little healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment