Monday, October 7, 2013

Gluten Free Banana Bread!

Gluten free, GF, here, there, everywhere! 

Especially now that I live in Portland, every restaurant menu you read has a clear label that they have GF items. Which for me, that's great! Yes! Those are the best two combined letters in the world when it comes to food. See, I come from a line of celiacs and gluten intolerance. Luckily I'm just gluten intolerant. However, I've also stepped back from wheat for the fact that it is highly overused and when you pack your body full of so much of one substance (not to mention the GMO's of wheat), you grow an intolerance for it.

With that though, I've never really ventured into the realm of trying to use substitutes for it when I cook/bake. I usually just eat my goodies on a rotation schedule (once every four days). So, gosh darn it, this was the weekend to try it out!

And....

Here is my scrumptious Gluten-free Banana Bread!


Literally, it was so good, that I single-handily ate an entire loaf in two days. So, this is round two, and you can obviously see that it was just best devoured. 

For this recipe, I used soy flour. Cool thing, soy flour has 35% protein, and so it's a great extra punch for us vegetarians. Though CAUTION! when making the batter, resist urge to lick spoon! Soy flour is mealy and super nutty tasting, so it makes the unbaked batter disgusting! However, I found out that after putting it in the magic baker, it gets transformed into mouth-watering deliciousness.

Here's the yumminess:
  • 1 3/4c Soy Flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1 t baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1/3c coconut butter; melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 3-4 mushy brown bananas
  • 1c sugar
  • 1 t vanilla
  • Spices of choice: nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamon, poppy seeds
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment